Oktoberfest Mascot Committee
The Oktoberfest Mascots Committee is undoubtedly the most active and fun committee in Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest.
The mascots consist of:
- Onkel Hans is the brand of Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest. Onkel Hans is everywhere throughout the year and he is the center of attention at events he attends during Oktoberfest. Along with his escorts they bring smiles and good cheer to every Festhalle and event they go to. His favorite things to do are the Bird Dance and taking pictures with guests.
- Tanta Frieda, Onkel Hans’ wife, attends a number of events and shares in bringing good cheer, smiles and is always available for pictures.
- The Steiner Brothers, Ziggy and Zaggy Steiner, are the mischievous nephews of Onkel Hans and Tanta Freida.
Oktoberfest Mascots Committee works hand in hand with every other committee in Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest. From keg tappings, to dancing with Miss Oktoberfest and participating in the Oktoberfest Thanksgiving Day Parade, the Oktoberfest Mascots Committee is everywhere.
- Represent Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest and the Oktoberfest Mascot Committee in a positive manner at all times.
- Bring Onkel Hans and our other Mascots to required events, i.e provide manpower, wearing costumes, escorts.
- Always make sure the costumes are presentable before appearing in public.
- Volunteers are required to wear Tracht to all events when they are not in a Mascot costume.
- Attend meetings and participate in events throught the year
- Volunteers should be physically fit an comfortable being in a m,ascot costume for extended periods of time.
- Should be able to interact with people, outgoing personality, patience and charm are important characteristics. Being around children and beinga people person is essential.
- Own Tracht; Lederhosen or Dirndl
- Be available for 20 hours minimum during the festival, and be available t attend schedule committee meetings throughout the year.
- This committee has events to attend throughout the year and not just during Oktoberfest; people who are willing to participate in events all year long are an asset.
- Daytime availability would be a great asset.
- Committee members also escort our mascots to all events, our escorts responsibility is to be the eyes and ears for our characters as well as to make sure our volunteers in costume remain safe